FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:15 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I knew that; I just forgot. Thank you for the correction. I'll revise my original message for any future readers.
No worries, just don't want people to be confused.

Back to OP and 45 minute connection, though, I've done plenty of 35 - 40 minute domestic connections at ORD and been perfectly fine on almost every one (I typically did them for domestic/Canada destinations with multiple departures - wouldn't do it to a once a day international flight). Some I've needed to run to, some I could just walk normally. That said, there have been 2 hour or longer connections I've missed. It's all a matter of how things are that day - if you arrive on time, and are able-bodied to walk at a normal pace between gates, and know the airport roughly ok, you'll probably be fine. Plane is late, or you have things slowing you down (kids, need to wait for a wheelchair, etc.), or its your first time in ORD, I wouldn't risk it. I also wouldn't risk it if you can not handle missing the connection based on having a meeting right after you land. My days of 35 - 40 minute connections are pretty much over, not because I am opposed necessarily (there's always the next flight)- I'd still do it when traveling on my own, but since almost all of my travel now is with the family, meaning wife and kids (4 and 1 right now). There is no way I'd do anything much under an hour now, and ideally, I aim for 90 minutes to 2 hours. Needing to always stop for something....diaper change, kid that decides they need to go to the bathroom badly just as we arrive at gate to board, kid that decides they want to walk to the all the way to the gate, even though they are slow and we need to be there NOW, etc, just doesn't make short connections work for me personally.