FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2019, 11:11 am
dfw88

While we're in an interlude between quiz questions, I was hoping someone here could help me with some concrete details of a vague childhood flying memory that I have. If anyone on the internet knows, it will certainly be those on this thread!

Time period here is the mid-1990's. I grew up back east, in Charleston, WV, while my parents are both from Utah. Since flights out of CRW were (are) expensive my parents almost always drove us to CMH or CVG to fly to SLC. According to my memory we flew mostly WN and DL. DL had a much larger hub at CVG at the time, so that makes sense, while apparently WN had a fair number of flights at CMH where we could single connect to SLC (I remember STL and MDW for sure. Who knows where else). I know that sometimes we hopped from CMH to CVG on DL, as that brought the fares down. Once, on the return, the flight was cancelled so DL put us all on a bus to drive back to CMH from CVG. That one I remember well.

Anyway, on to the question: As is oft-discussed in this thread, direct flights with multiple stops were once much more common. I would assume we took these on multiple occasions, though I only actually remember one, and it's the details of that flight that I'm curious about. One winter (I'm pretty sure there was snow on the ground) we flew, probably from either CVG or CMH on our way to SLC. It's entirely possible that we originated in CRW instead, though I would think it third-most-likely in this case. The SLC portion was almost certainly a separate flight (i.e. not on the same direct flight as the other legs); we were always connecting through hubs in the Midwest. I would guess that we're talking about the 1993-1996 range, though I could be off on that. Regardless, etched in my mind is the fact that we had a stopover, where we remained on the plane, in Appleton, Wisconsin (ATW).

The questions, then, are: Is this even possible? Were there direct flights or milk run type flights from Ohio or WV through ATW to some airline hub where we could've connected to SLC? Maybe on NW to MSP or DTW?

I will readily admit that my memory is fallible and that this stopover (which I'm 99% sure happened) may not have occurred at ATW. I just figured I'd ask the collective minds here since this one has been bothering me ever since a more grown-up version of myself started regularly and meticulously logging flights a few years ago.

I also understand that this questions is rather vague, and won't be offended in the least to be told that there's not enough information here to go off of. Thanks for trying!