FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Possibly oversold flight from LHR - bump possibility, EC261?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:28 pm
Madison Guy

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by Oil-man
I know this is a query about an AA flight from LHR, but I find the knowledge on the BA sub forum second to none, hence the post.

I'm flying with my wife on AA39 LHR-MIA tomorrow and it's been sold out for the best part of a week. I'm guessing it's well oversold. We've got a basic economy seating and I/we now have no status. We will be prime candidates to be bumped.

I tried to OLCI and it wouldn't allow me. I've had this situation before, and subsequently been denied boarding, so would like to be prepared for the eventuality (even if it doesn't happen), and so I could influence the outcome, or fight my case at the check-in desk.

Firstly, if AA deny us boarding on the direct flight to MIA, and then ry to route us via JFK, PHL or CLT, do they have to ask for volunteers before denying us boarding?

Secondly, if they do deny us boarding, and re-route us via JFK/PHL/CLT, does EU261 apply if the new stopover re-route gets us into Miami less than 4 hours after the direct flight we are booked on? Note, all the re-routes with stopover generally would get us into Miami 3-3.5 hours late when compared to the direct flight we have booked.
Out of curiosity, what was the exact error message you got when you attempted OLCI. Based on your earlier post I was wondering if perhaps you are hoping for denied boarding?