FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The end of the LAX - LHR route
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:34 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gratn
The loss of a direct NZ service to LHR is sad news, even though the LAX transit is unpleasant. I wonder what it will do to loads on AKL-LAX?.
Originally Posted by Rebound
Its disappointing but i don't enjoy the LAX experience any more, and my last 3 London trips have been via Dubai twice and then Singapore.
Originally Posted by Lpmnz
Never flew the route though I have to admit, always via Asia until next year decided to go large and give it a go. Thankful we did now.
Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
Can't think of anything more unpleasant than flying with NZ to LHR when options through Asia are much less hassle, cheaper and personally more comfortable.
From https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...after-36-years
<snip>
Air New Zealand has been flying the LA-London route since 1982, but McDowall said consumer choices had changed over the years.

"Today Kiwis have more than twice the number of ways to fly to London than a decade ago and preferences have changed. Less than seven per cent of all airline travellers between Auckland and London chose to fly via Los Angeles last year."

The national carrier used to also fly into London through Hong Kong, but that service ended in 2013.
<snip>
And thousands of others make the same decision to fly NZ-ME/Asia-LHR. LHR is not the destination of many, hence far more UK/Eu cities from ME/Asia

The USA ESTA/visa requirements put many off: just too hard(impossible) for many people

Luxton goes and a major route change soon announced.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 22, 2019 at 1:50 pm Reason: Route started 1982