FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:58 am
rkb777300

Conrad vs Waldorf

First time post....

like many others, I have gone back and forth with upcoming Maldives trip — in feb 2020. My husband and I have been to Conrad RI on two occasions: trip 1 was 5 nights DBV and 1 not OWV. Second was 8 nights DBV. We loved DBV - they were renovated. The OWV was a let down- small, in need of repair, mold in bathroom, battered deck (and small), and an odd cleaning chemical odor indoors. Now, that said, we love Conrad - barefoot most of the time, nice ambiance happy hour, good meals and ok prices, nice layout, cleeeeear water and relaxing days at Quiet Zone. As soon as we learned of Waldorf’s new property coming, that was our new target. We have tons of points so 120k was not a big deal in difference. From what we can tell, the accommodation at WA is going to be incredible. Unknowns are the lack of blue lagoon and perhaps missing that feeling of being on a far away deserted island, the feeling CRI gives you, which we love. The property did upgrade us at WA to OWV so that sealed it for us. No more debate and now we have peace of mind and can focus on the upcoming trip and things to do. Sure, the F&B prices are a bit higher at WA but one must account for a budget and not go to these destinations getting everything one can for free. I presume most FT use points for hotels and miles for air, so if you have to spend a few grand to enjoy a still amazing value then go for it. If you don’t have a few grand to dispose of then don’t put yourself through the stress of not being able to swing it, or get mad at the property for charging what they do. There are many other great beach/ tropical destinations that can be experienced for much less “out of pocket” expense ranges. Regardless, I am not here to post about affording the trip, rather encouraging those in a similar debate to trust the experience will be excellent and not leave yourself wondering what WA would have been like if one had gone. I read the TA reviews daily as well and what I see doesn’t indicate that I will in any way regret trying WA. CRI will always be there and once they renovate their overwater villas, might go back. We like clean and new-ish, so the value of the WA new overwater villa with pool was too good not to go for. We come to the maldives for water views (buildings/islands in the background or not), so considering we did nit get that in two trips thus far, WA it is for us. BTW- I have found WA very responsive to every email inquiry and helpful with transfer questions, etc......longest response time was two days.