FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there a 2-way radio can be taken to all countries in Europe, Russia, US/Canada?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:25 am
KRSW

Originally Posted by Craig6z
Agree completely. Nevertheless if the OP wants to evaluate the risk, the "UV5R" (sold under a lot of brand names, but traditionally tied to Chinese manufacturer - Baofeng) transceiver will allow operation on a wide variety of VHF and UHF frequencies:
<snip>
I am not advocating operating these on frequencies not authorized in the country you are visiting, but they are quite flexible. Depending on the country bureaucrats could theoretically impound them upon crossing the frontier, but it is a risk you might evaluate. Do some research on the UV5R, because if this is a legally viable solution, they are cheap and reliable.
Careful: Just because a radio can transmit and receive on a particular frequency doesn't mean it's legal to operate that radio on said frequency. The UV-5R is quite an impressive piece of kit for the price with a variety of uses. BUT, most of those uses aren't legal, even in the USA. For example, the UV-5R can transmit on USA's FRS/GMRS frequencies. The FCC's FRS rules say FRS radios MUST NOT have a removable antenna (the UV-5R does), and that FRS radios can only operate at a maximum of 0.5 watts on certain frequencies. The UV-5R's lowest power setting is 1 watt. GMRS use requires a $70 license with the FCC. It can also operate on business bands, which require a license AND require that the radio's frequency/channel/power output settings be locked down (the UV-5R cannot).

I believe Europe's PMR446 also restricts power output to 0.5 watts.

Now... for practicalities. I have a few Baofeng radios and use them freely with my amateur license. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I also use them with a few commercial licenses as well. It is nice to be able to use one radio with multiple clients' systems. Realistically, is the FCC going to care? As long as we're not interfering with anyone else..no.

BUT other governments aren't as relaxed about such things. Remember, it's their country, their rules, their laws, their courts, not the USA's. I remember Italy being very touchy about foreigners having shortwave radios, let alone 2-way radios. Even the USA isn't fond of radios being brought in. I remember when I brought back a Sony SW-100E radio from the UK. As I was collecting my VAT refund from HM's Revenue & Customs counter, the agent very politely reminded me that the radio was not legal in the USA.

Best bet is to use FRS in US/CA/MX and stick to PMR446 for EU countries. Non-EU/Non-US countries: Good luck, find cheap SIMs. Here's a decent article on it. As you'll see, there are some standards, but nothing universal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_radio_service