FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best AK Aurora view?
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:06 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ftmsb
Also agree with Fairbanks (and its environs, like the Chatanika Lodge mentioned above). In case you haven't seen it, here is a link to the aurora forecast page run by the Geophysical Institute at the University of Alaska Fairbanks: https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast
I second this post and the recommendation to base your journey in Fairbanks. Personally, I'm partial to soaking in Chena Hot Springs while the lights dance above your head (and the rush of hot and cold that you get as you sink down in the hot pool and then stand up in the frigid air is an experience unlike any other), but Chatanika Lodge would be as good a place as any. Anywhere outside of Fairbanks proper and far enough to get away from the light pollution is good.

Also, the UAF GI forecast page that @ftmsb linked is the gold standard for Alaska-centric aurora predictions. Note that it's more akin to a 5-day weather summary rather than an hourly forecast--for the latter, you'll want to look in the lower right portion of that page for the link to the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center, which has near-real-time reports and predictions.

-Mod hat on-

Since this technically pertains to Alaska as a destination and not as much to Alaska as an air carrier, I'll go ahead and move it over to the respective destination forum. Please follow as this thread moves there.

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines forum