FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR to LAX Econ out, business return - advice for a newbie
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:57 am
RobBal

Programs: Avios
Smile LHR to LAX Econ out, business return - advice for a newbie

Hi all! First post, so I hope I'm doing this correctly!

I'm planning a big trip (we are not frequent long haul travellers) from Heathrow to LAX in May or June 2021 for a big birthday I have coming up. I currently have 102,000 Avios and a BA premium card, which I will trigger a 2 for 1 on in the next couple of months. I expect to have around 130,000 points by the time I come to book 355 days out next year. I don't have Status with BA as I don't regularly fly - points come from spend and business expenses etc.

I'm travelling with my wife and daughter who will be 10 at the time of travel.

We've never done business class and probably will never get another chance - we have saved quite hard to get the points. I'm considering doing the following Economy Out and Business Back, making use of the flat bed for the overnight. If we travel off peak I think I have worked it out as 157,500 points. With fees and buying the remaining points I think it will be around £1600 for our group, using the 2 for 1.

I'd really appreciate any advice from frequent fliers. We could go Premium both ways for less by the looks for it and have more spending money. Is Business really a treat that's worth it? Also, are we making best use of our points and buying power here? Any advice appreciated really,

Many, many thanks for any help to this newbie!