FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - British family on vacation accidentally drove into the U.S.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:48 pm
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
My interpretation from reading the stories is a couple of dimwit chavs decided they would circumvent the US immigration system and when caught still didn't grasp the consequences of their actions. They're now screaming about mistreatment to try and get public sympathy. I doubt CBP or ICE would have put out such a strong and detailed rebuttal if they weren't on solid ground.
Dimwitted indeed.

From this description:

The CBP added: “A vehicle was observed via remote video surveillance system turning west onto Avenue 0 in British Columbia, Canada, at approximately 9pm, 2 October. The vehicle then turned south and entered the US illegally, by slowly and deliberately driving through a ditch onto Boundary Road in Blaine, Washington. The vehicle travelled west on Boundary Road continuing on the United States side, and was pulled over by a Border Patrol agent a short time later.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9159406.html

they appear to have crossed over somewhere along this stretch of road or thereabouts (click view larger map then go to street view):

Which makes their claim of "swerving to avoid an animal" even more laughable than it already was. Even if for some reason they had to "swerve" all the way across the eastbound lane, then across the ditch, and then onto Boundary Road (in the US)...an honest person would simply turn the wheel to the right and cross back over onto the Canadian side immediately after the incident. You wouldn't forget or become suddenly confused as to which road you had been on and keep going. Of course since CBP surveillance caught them in the act their story doesn't matter, but it wasn't a very convincing one in any case. I'm guessing that border patrol in that area has heard any number of ridiculous excuses for similar transgressions.