FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:06 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clearspan
Dear all,
I have decided to show AA the loyalty it’s had towards me since the USAir takeover.
As a four-to-six time per year traveler to the Middle East/India, from Chicago, I ask all of you, “Onto which OneWorld FF group should I alight?”
British?
RJ?
Qatar?
Cathay?
My theory is, I’ll achieve status pronto, and then upgrades. But I cannot make sense of Avios, Q-miles, Marco Polo, etc. is there an established answer to this question?
I wd like my days as a hamster on American’s wheel to end.
Much obliged to any respondents.
The grass in not always greener on the other side

AA will not notice or care when you stop crediting to AAdvantage.

4 to 6 long haul flights is not a lot. What class of travel? What airlines do you fly? Getting status may be a lot harder than you think.

Jargon and ways to earn status/ff miles is different between frequent flyer programs.
Non USA ffp's tend not to use the word miles for redeemable & status. Status generally uses a different word. [Is far simpler]

Avios is the ff currency of BA, IB & others. Like AA redeemable freq flyer miles
Cathay Pacific has Asiamiles (ff miles) & Marcopolo (status). Well explained in the CX forum
Q-miles is the ff currency Qatar Airlines.

How do think you will get upgrades? There is vast difference between upgrade practices between USA and non USA airlines. With non USA airlines always expect to fly in the cabin you buy. The USA ffp expectation/entitlement to upgrades does not happen with non USA ffp's. Only AA/IB/BA have cross airlines upgrade system, but has onerous t&c's

Look at posts 1, 2 & 3 in this thread

OP other locked thread--> Leaving Aadvantage, where to go?

The grass in not always greener on the other side