FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:34 pm
AutoSlash
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by itisme
i also had a accident today. Rented from LAS but involved in crash/accident in LA. was supposed to return the car in LAS next week. Luckily no body injuries and everyone just in shock and just some muscle pain.
It was my fault and i have LDW and LIS because i am a renter from UK. Called 911 and hertz straightaway. Other call wasn't totalled and just front side damage but unable to be driven anymore.
However the police demanded that i moved the car as it was on a red line (really tough cop). Then while moving the car the whole front fell off and its total loss. Then he demanded their own towtruck driver takes it to their impound. So then hertz said it might take 3-5 days before they can get it.

So now i am without a car and no clue if they give me a replacement and if i have to pay something. And if their LAX store will give me a new car that i can drive to vegas and/or if i then need to pay one-way-fees and when i will get one. Wish there was more info available online about this stuff indeed. Will try to contact them tomorrow to see if more info is known. And hopefully the insurances will cover all. Stressfull enough to involved in a heavy accident and then even more not knowing what's going to happen.

Anyone know if they are good in further communication after accidents? Do i call the emergency line again with a case nr or the local hertz that will come pick up the car at some point?
The emergency line also said its up to the local store if they give you a new car or not. I am Pres. circle and never had issue before so hoping they forgive me...
Sorry to hear about your accident. If you have LDW & LIS you should be fine and likely won't have any out-of-pocket costs. The only thing could be a tow to get the car back to LAS, which could be quite expensive, but our guess is that with LDW included, there's a good chance they won't charge you.

Your best bet is to go into the LAX location tomorrow and speak with a manager. Be sure to have your rental contract handy. Ask them whatever questions you have and then politely ask if it would be possible to pick up another car for the remainder of your trip. Have a backup reservation with another company ready just in case they say no. The locations in/around are pretty close. You could probably walk to many of them, but failing that, Uber/Lyft is always an option.