FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Confirmed upgrade before checking w/o SNA?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:12 pm
yyzflyer

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Your understanding is incorrect. I get upgraded all the time after checking in when the mobile app reflects the room I originally booked. I always check in with the mobile app as early as possible:

My procedure is to check-in so I get access to the chat function, and then contact the hotel to politely request an upgrade to a suite or another higher category room type I see is available.
To say my understanding is incorrect based entirely on your luck is a bit of a stretch. If you've had success in beating the system - great. I have had conversations with several front desk personnel and managers that confirm my position. I have been told that by clicking on "Check in" on the app, you are agreeing to the "terms and conditions" at that time. Your room is blocked at that time and any modification after that point is entirely dependent on the good will of the hotel in question. Kudos on your success; I would suggest it is far from typical.