FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Problems for non-Americans entering Cuba from the USA?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:37 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Problems for non-Americans entering Cuba from the USA?

My wife and I are planning a Cuba trip with a couple of friends who both have British and Israeli passports. We'd all be flying in from Miami. My friends would probably fly straight to Britain or another European country after departing Cuba. I've read this useful post on visiting Cuba:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k12881840-Americans_traveling_to_Cuba-Cuba.html

From the research my friends have done, it sounds like they'd fill out the same form as us and pick Support for the Cuban People, since they're coming from the USA. But we have a bit of concern about the possible ramifications for them for when they'd want to visit the USA (and their son and his family) down the line. It sounds like right now there's a stringent policy that isn't enforced - that you don't have to do much beyond stating Support for the Cuban People as a reason for going and that there's no follow-up from the US Government end.

But especially given the realities of the Trump administration and some of its immigration enforcement personnel these days, we wonder whether this policy could come back to bit ethem down the line, such as if an immigration officer decides to prohibit them from entering the USA a year from now. True, this policy could also be unfairly applied to Americans, but Americans are actually in a better position to fight it and wouldn't be excluded from the country because of it.

Any thoughts about or experience with how this policy could affect foreigners?

Thanks for any input.