FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - how strict are SE Asian countries and LCCs re: proof of onward travel?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:10 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I’m heading to SE Asia in a few days and planning to visit several countries for the first time. Since I don’t know how long I’ll want to stay in any particular city or country until I get there, and since LCCs are so cheap, I’ve been hoping/planning to basically plan as I go.

I have a return flight in J on Finnair (BKK-HEL-JFK), but was hoping to not always have departure flights booked for other countries until after I’ve arrived.

How strict are the countries and LCCs over there when it comes to showing proof of onward travel? Are certain countries and/or LCCs known to be more (or very) strict? If I fly into, e.g., Indonesia or Vietnam or Myanmar and they ask for onward travel, will showing them my ~$1,500 BKK-HEL-JFK ticket likely to be good enough?

Thanks very much.
If Timatic tells the airline that your destination requires proof of onward travel, then you'll be required to show that proof to the airlinr. Doesnt really matter if its LCC or a legacy carrier: one-way travel spells trouble for them.