FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EXTREEEmely Flat Tires?
View Single Post
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:46 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by pinniped

This makes no sense. It's not fraud. The airline will either do you a favor or not do you a favor, but no prosecutor in the world would remotely consider this fraud. (The act of asking for the favor.) Even the court of public opinion doesn't consider this fraud...even if we generally agree it won't work.

Others here are correct in saying they won't do you the favor. Not because WN isn't nice (they often are nice), but because this one would be kind of difficult for them to do even if they wanted to.

Sounds like OP is going to follow the more prudent course of action - not gambling on a very low-probability outcome - but asking the airline for a favor isn't a ethical problem and definitely not a criminal one. Obviously for the sake of all of us, behave nicely whether your request is accommodated or not.
As described by OP, it is fraud (either wire or mail or both).

As the poster and you note, it is extraordinarily unlikely to be prosecuted.

But, there is a vast difference between appearing and invoking the "flat tire" policy and making a truthful request. E.g., OP says he has a meeting.

1. "I got stuck in an elevator" False, but maybe flat.
2. "I went to a meeting very important to me, can you help?" - True and a request for a waiver.