FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 300 night club — anyone on the road or living out of hotels full time?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:15 pm
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I have lived out of hotels most of the time for the past ten-plus years. Hotels have, of course, treated me great as I have rotated among many but had solid coverage at each. I have had a car, which has been almost a necessity to make it work. Although the hotels are happy to store luggage, sometimes for years at a time, it's a headache to pack everything up.

I usually don't stay in any one hotel for more than a week. I pretty much live out of the car (where loose items proliferate unfortunately) and just bring one suitcase inside for the week. This has been mostly in the GCC, though, where it's necessary to have a car anyway and security isn't a concern (i.e., having a car full of visible stuff in the parking lot, street, or airport parking). I suppose this wouldn't be practical in Hong Kong. (Dubai and Doha also have a unique market, where somehow the prices of hotels are favorable to apartments. This is especially true if one travels a lot; I check out of the hotel when I leave, so only end up paying for 250 nights a year in my base city.)

One minor headache is arriving on an overnight flight and not having a place to freshen up (not wanting to pay for an extra hotel night) before work, or leaving on a flight in the middle of the night. I do have to find a laundry place, but it's dirt cheap there, and I must say I love picking up the laundry ironed and wrapped in plastic.