FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA will offset its carbon emissions, starting with UK domestic flights from 2020
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:04 pm
bisonrav

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
China and India do a very good job overall on energy efficiency. This is contrary to received wisdom, but worth looking at the free reports downloadable from the IEA - you need to register but there’s some great stuff there, including a great energy report for last year which has a lot of fascinating detail and a special report section on aviation. China and India feature in the industry section.

The big culprit is the US, and given the bleating in California because of power shutdowns to avoid liability for forest fires, I don’t think that’s going to change any time soon.

There are no painless paths to decarbonisation. There has to be massive investment, this will feed through to prices and taxes. Renewables aren’t cheap and free. This is also where extinction rebellion are profoundly unhelpful, their idiotic emotional responses polarise opinion and make more people sceptical, the ‘what about china’ reaction is a natural reaction to being asked to return to the 12th century by a crusted trustafarian.

BA is window dressing here, and unfortunately this sort of PR gesture is about positioning, not impact. And no, I’m not planning to travel less, but part of my day job is around industrial decarbonisation, there is more genuine impact there.