FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WestJet Elevation Lounge YYC
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:51 am
WR Cage

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Not the greatest article — it reeks of laziness.

To write and post “I’m confused...” rather than doing five minutes of research to clear up his confusion? Wow.

This guy is usually a pretty good travel writer. But, come on man, do a tiny bit of research before writing a piece. At the very least, he could have Googled a YYC terminal map.
I'm going with Ben/Lucky, the WestJet announcement is confusing and five minutes of research only uncovers more confusion.

First off, international pax must checkin at the international terminal if they have checked luggage. The majority of international J cabin pax will have to checkin at the international terminal. walk 200-400m to the new consolidated pre-board screening checkpoint (about where the temporary WestJet domestic checkin is now) just to get to the new WestJet "flagship" lounge. A similar experience at AC, with 1/2 the walking distance, has been described by some insiders as a brand damaging pax experience.

Secondly, WestJet last year announced that YYC would get not 1 but 3 lounges. Further, it is my understanding the ITB has empty space roughed in for additional transborder and international lounges. Why won't WS activate these lounges while waiting for the domestic lounge to be constructed?

Third, why the announcement now if in service date is one year away?

Fourth. At the last investor conference, it was announced there would be additional WS in YVR and YYZ. With the announcement the first lounge will be in YYC and not inservice for another year, what does this say about in service date for WS Lounges in YYZ and YVR?