FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - InterContinental Phuket (Master Thread)
View Single Post
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:52 pm
Unterwegs

Originally Posted by palermo
Hi Unterwegs

I have a 4 day stay in early January on points. I cannot figure out what are the pools for non club guests. I have seen some videos /photos which show two pools near the beach, one beach level and one elevated.

I am confused as the general manager indicated in the video that beach level pool is club only and that there are two other pools (one adult only and the main one being the lagoon pool).

Finally, if you are staying on the mountain side, how are you supposed to go to the beach?

I have seen very good reviews on Tripadvisor but I have not been overly impressed by the videos/photos. If hotel is offering very cheap rates during soft opening, the excellent reviews may be influenced by that.

Thanks
Let me try to anser some of your questions.

They have two pools in the ocean side part of the resort. One is a large pool on the left side (when seen from the street) at beach level and one club pool on the right side two levels up. Also good size. Access is from the terrace in front of the club. It was always deserted and did not look very attractive. They are supposed to have more pools on the inland side, most likely all public since the club rooms are on the ocean side. The pool villas are also on the inland side and supposed to have their own small pools. I did not go there, this is just what they told me.

If you are on the mountain side you need to walk down to the street area, then down into the public tnnel which end just in front of the entrance of the ocean side. Then it is another 2 or 3 floors down there and a few more meters to the beach.

Look at google maps/satellite. It still shows the construction site, but gives you a better idea.
The bigh building on the inland side shows a rooftop pool with reception (was not open in September). Behind is the majority of the rooms and the villas. It is on a hillside, the villas are higher up than the reception building. But it seems that none of the rooms in that area has an ocean view.

You can see the tunnel entrance ramp on the south end of the inland side next to the (new) road there. The tunnel ends on the other side next to the street (you can guess on the picture where the ramp is.

Two buildings on the ocean side. It seems both have club rooms, all have an ocean view. The club itself is the lowest floor of the norther building, the club terrace in front. You can guess where the pool is at the north border of the property. The ocean side is much narrower than the inland side. The bigger pool is next to the L-shaped building (you can see part of it below the trees and reaching over to a small building with the bar. The pool/beach area was nice and not too crowded, but then they also had less than 40 rooms occupied.

If you change to streetview you can see the tunnel and the position of the buildings. Yo can also see where the Twinpalms is next door (not part of the IC).