FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - InterContinental Phuket (Master Thread)
View Single Post
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:12 am
Gentleman Adventurer

Programs: Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, Bonvoy, Aeroflot Platinum, Delta SkyMiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I was staying there last month (booked a few month earlier).
The hotel has two parts divided by a major road and connected by a public tunnel. The part on the ocean side was open, the other side was still under construction. They told me the other side might open in October, possibly later.
They offered a 50 % discount on the room rate plus upgrade to club plus several other discounts (had the opening special) which made it to one of the cheapest IC ever.

I was not too impressed. Aside from the rough edges a new hotel usually has some of my observations:
- room layout is not very practical. No workdesk (had to put my notebook on the extended bed stand and bend down. Horrible chair. No space toopen a regular size suitcase except on the floor. Not enough power outlets. Not enough shelf space and hangers. This was the worst room layout of any new IC i was staying in the last few years
- bathroom was big, but again a weird layout. Big sliding doors to the room, but the bathtub standing where the doors open.
- lots of stairs (slippery when raining) without handrail - accident waiting to happen
- beach and pool nice, better than at the other ICs in Pattaya, Hua Hin and Samui (supposed to have more pools on the inland side)
- service was very friendly and personal, but also very inefficient
- food in the club lounge was not up to the standard of other ICs in asia. This could be a opening issue or caused by giving all guest club access
- food in the only other open restaurant (Thai) did not taste like thai food and was borderline inedible
Wow. That's super helpful. Many thanks, @Unterwegs.

I'm a bit concerned now that I know there is possibly still construction going on at the main part of the hotel and that there is a major road that runs right through the resort. I don't think they are very transparent about that on the IC website.

I sure hope they smooth out the edges and are truly ready for business by the time I get there in December. I'll be sure to post a review with photos here.