FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has AF recently changed the max dimensions of hand luggage?? (Compare w Transavia)
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:00 am
gaukuser

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Has AF recently changed the max dimensions of hand luggage?? (Compare w Transavia)

I just got a new suitcase (the Samsonite Armage 21 inch spinner, if anybody cares), that I thought would work for AF (i replaced an aging suitcase that had never been challenged, and the new one is 2 inch taller at 22 inches with wheels, and 1 inch narrower at now 15 inches)

Anyway, on my passage at ORY the other day, I decided to go around a few airlines baggage sizers, to take real-life note of where the suitcase worked or didn't (it's definitely on the max size of what's usually allowed)

I discovered something non-sensical: AF's max width is 35 cm -- and my suitcase is 40, definitely doesn't fit in the sizer -- . But 20 feet over, the Transavia sizers were perfect fits: Their max width is 40 cm. This sounds totally weird?!?
The Air France sizers look brand new, and they have a different design than the 'tube' things we usually see. They are solid on all side, so they are absolutely not forgiving at all.

It seems so strange that Air France would have less generous dimensions for hand luggage than its low-cost sister company, that it occurred maybe there had been a recent change? And this would explain why I've been travelling for the past 7 years to the tune of 30x times a year on AF long hauls with a 16 inch-wide suitcase and nobody ever challenged it.

Thoughts? Thanks