FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Confirmed upgrade before checking w/o SNA?
Old Oct 8, 19, 7:40 pm
ftrichard

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Originally Posted by wrytoast View Post
Thanks, all. Have people on this thread found that checking in online without upgrades ultimately hinders upgrades? I seem to have seen people on other threads suggesting that it doesn't.
People's individual experiences shape what they believe is an actual formal process. In my experience, it's like this: checking in online makes absolutely no negative difference to the possibility of the suite upgrade nor to whether that upgrade appears on the app as a room change before or after the online check in. It's about the hotel's own processes and availability of upgrades for elites rather than a process tied to the app. All you're doing with online check in is let the hotel know that you're definitely arriving and the approximate time. If anything, this useful information can help a proactive hotel assign you a specific upgraded room before you actually arrive but never guaranteed until you walk through the door of the room. I always check in online about a day before I arrive to let them know what time I arrive irrespective of what the app is showing for the room type. I've had all scenarios but the most common is that room upgrades appear on the app at some point on the day of arrival whether or not I've checked in online. Second most common scenario is that I'm upgraded a few days out whether or not I've checked in online. I've also had the scenario where the app told me I've got a suite upgrade (hello, Courtyard Taipei Downtown) but when I arrived late at night (about 10pm IIRC) the suite was gone and I got a basic room because presumably I was the last elite to check in and my rivals had complained louder. They moved me to a suite the next day.