FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WestJet Elevation Lounge YYC
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerJ

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
And many (most?) corporations completely disallow J booking irrespective of distance.
True. Mine requires lowest available fare (minus Basic fares) with a $150 buffer ... so I can choose any flight within $150 of the cheapest option. That never gets me to J on other carriers, nor does it get me to PY on WestJet.

I wonder how much of an average AC J cabin is actually true, paid J. There are some, obviously. But there are also many “Flight Pass” passengers where their company bought Economy class flight passes ... which are among the highest priority for J upgrade (regardless of Aeroplan/Altitude status). And those pax do get Maple Leaf Lounge access when they get upgraded. It’s a great way that AC had found to market to law firms and big corps — where they get paid in advance for a large quantity of seats.

Then, there are the J upgrades (which encourage loyalty even while usually flying in Y) and the Aeroplan J class vacation flights (which also encourage loyalty among Y class fliers).

I’m of the same mind as Frequentlander. In Canada at least, and in WestJet’s core markets, I don’t know that there really is a significant J spend. Much of WS’s strategy is to drive Y fliers to higher Y fares — which makes sense.

But, yes, I think they’re going to need to give lounge access to paid (but probably not purchased upgrade) Premium tickets — regardless of whether they classify that cabin as Business or PY. If they want to attract over a regular YYZ-YYC front cabin passenger from AC, they’re going to need to have a competitive offering on the ground too.