FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:04 pm
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Nabi
South Korean passport.

Day 1. ICN to CAN
Day 2. Guangzhou to Shenzhen by train
Day 3. Shekou port to Hong Kong Airport and then HKG to ICN

According to this schedule, stay in HK is very short and only transited.

Is the schedule eligible for 144 TWOV?
We recently discussed this subtopic, and our interpretations are somewhat divided.

Following is a link to TIMATIC specific to your case:

https://www.emirates.com/english/bef...fb87e46d3c7961

And, the relevant paragraphs (from the above link)

Nationals of Korea (Rep.) with a confirmed onward air, cruise or train ticket to a third country within 144 hours, starting from 00:01 on the day following the day of entry. They must:
- arrive at one of the following airports: Guangzhou (CAN), Shantou (SWA) or Shenzhen (SZX); and
- depart from one of the following locations: Guangzhou (CAN), Meixian (MXZ), Shantou (SWA), Shenzhen (SZX), Zhanjiang (ZHA), Dongguan Humen Sea Port, Dongguan Railway Port, Doumen Sea Port, Foshan Gaoming Sea Port, Foshan Railway Port, Guangzhou Sea Port, Guangzhou Tianhe Railway Port, Heshan Sea Port, Jiuzhou Sea Port, Jiangmen Sea Port, Lianhuashan Sea Port, Nansha Sea Port, Rongqi Sea Port, Shekou Sea Port, Shenzhen Airport Support Sea Port, Shenzhen Bay Port, Shenzhen Futian Port, Shenzhen Huanggang Port, Shenzhen Luohu Port, Shenzhen Shatoujiao Port, Shenzhen Wenjindu Port, Wanchai Sea Port, Wanshan Sea Port, Zhaoqing Railway Port, Zhongshan Sea Port, Zhuhai Gongbei Port or Zhuhai Hengqin Port; and
- have documents required for the next destination.
1. Arrive at CAN is okay
2. Depart from Shekou port is also compliant
3. BUT, you presumably won't have a confirmed ferry ticket upon arrival

In previous posts, I suggested that any ticket could be used to fulfill the onward ticket requirement because there is no explicit statement that one needs to actually travel on the ticket presented. In fact, I am confident enough in this interpretation that I would roll with it myself. However, if you have a lower risk tolerance, perhaps you could try to buy a ferry ticket in advance.