FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta to buy 20% of LATAM for $1.9 billion in regional shake-up [LATAM to leave OW]
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:03 pm
RafKa

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FairDinkumMate
Have you seen any firm plans regarding this from Qantas yet? There's been talk, but I've not seen anything confirmed. I actually think that this will really shake Qantas up with regard to South America. Without LATAM connections, Qantas will lose a lot of business on QF27/28, most importantly to Brazil. With only 6 flights per week & no connections, they'll struggle to compete with Latam's daily SYD-SCL (via AKL) & MEL-SCL along with the currently thrice weekly LA802/803 SYD-SCL direct.

It would seem that Qantas may have to launch SYD-GRU direct to be able to deliver the connections it will need to remain competitive - here's hoping!!!
I haven't got any inside info, if that's what you're asking... But the trend has been for QF to ramp up services to South America (i.e. previously they only operated a codeshare to SCL, now they have their own equipment) and as you say, there's been talk of direct flights to GRU, although these would probably be part of project sunrise.