Old Oct 6, 19, 2:02 pm
JJeffrey

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by HardHitter View Post
I used to travel AA for business and recently have switched to a different airline. I have 130K miles with AA and don't want them to go to waste so was thinking about taking the wife on a trip to Hawaii (don't know which islands).

Anyone have experience with using their points for Hawaii? Business class worth it or no? Just trying to use up my 130K points in the most efficient way.
As mentioned above, it will cost you 55k each way, 110k total, for one person in business to Hawaii. Going via DFW on the 772 is on the only way you will get a lie-flat product. Business award availability on the DFW-Hawaii 772 flights is generally very tough to come by.

From the west coast, there are quicker and easier options than backtracking to DFW (from LAX and PHX), however all of these will be on 321's with standard domestic first class recliner type seats. AS also has tons of flights to Hawaii from virtually every large west coast city, but again these will be on 737's with a standard domestic first class. But, business award availability is MUCH easier to come by on these flights. Keep in mind using AA miles for flights on AS will not be an option much longer.

That said, in terms of an efficient use of miles, then west coast to Hawaii for 55k each way in business is a pretty horrible use of miles, IMO. For basically the same amount you can get to Europe (57.5k) or Japan/Korea (60k) in business class.