FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:09 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
42. - BONUS: Well, I was wondering if the F.28 Fellowship was allowed to operate into London City.....a bit too noisy, perhaps? And I did not know the F.70 was operated into LCY at one point.....

But back to business.....and Air Jet is correct! Here are the scheds.....

BC 207: Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) 07:20 - 07:20 London City (LCY) …
I think Air Jet only lasted a matter of months, it really was uncompetitive having just a small schedule when Air France were also on the route, and the Eurostar train had just opened, so this must be a rare schedule. Note that they used the old Brymon Airways BC code; Brymon, by 1996 owned by British Airways, were the original operators of Dash-7s on this pioneer LCY route - in partnership with Air France.

I recall the Air France F.28 particularly, I used to see it, by chance, on Saturday mornings, departing for Paris with a particularly energetic engine run-up before takeoff when LCY operations were on easterlies. The actual operator was Regional Aviation, but they were in Air France colours and flight numbers. More recently, Austrian (again by a branded commuter operator, Tyrolean) came in for a year or two with the same type, which we always meant to take for a weekend in Vienna but never got round to it before they gave up. Shame. Last year we had a business opportunity there and with several trips (alas from Heathrow) I managed an extended weekend, and found it still as much an elegant and fascinating old middle-Europe city as I recall from student Interrail days, as well as finding a Ukrainian Ilyushin 76 heading from Everett to Dubai at the airport, which I think made it into a thread question here.

If Air Inter were being advertised as an operator into LCY in that year, it was strange, but the sort of thing Air France did by the 1990s, when they owned Air Inter and seemed to use the fleets and the branding quite interchangeably. Eventually they merged the branding all in. Air France (with Inter) must hold the European record for the sheer number of commuter carriers that have carried their livery, but one combination that didn't happen was Air Inter running a BAe146 - those Air France flights in 1996 were provided by Irish-based Cityjet, in AF colours.