FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two nights in AKL (arriving late, exhausted!)
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:05 pm
GeezerCouple

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Two nights in AKL (arriving late, exhausted!)

In late November, we'll be arriving in AKL from SIN at about midnight, and this will be the day after we'll have taken that looong flight EWR-SIN, after flying to EWR the afternoon/evening before.
This will be our first time to this part of the globe.

Importantly, if our only prior experience with ultra-long-haul (USA East Coast to Tokyo) is repeated, I will have a very bad case of jet lag (meaning, confusion, feeling ill... just a wonderful experience - NOT!). So we are trying to prepare in case that does happen again.
We'll have that night plus one additional night in Auckland, before we'll embark on a cruise mid-day.
(These are the dates we were able to get with awards, on relatively short notice; usually we start planning at least a year in advance.)

We'd appreciate recommendations about convenient accommodations.
Let's assume that DH will be interested in stepping out a bit to see AKL, even if I am not feeling up to it
And all the better if I *am* feeling like exploring a bit!

Given I'm likely to be sleeping (and there's a chance that DH might be, also), we don't think this is the time to splurge on a really top hotel, but we do need something comfortable and clean, and with proper 24 hour room service (which we found incredibly helpful last time in Tokyo).

Suggestions?
Many thanks!

We are incredibly excited about this trip, and hope to handle the jet lag the best we can.

GC