FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Skye/Scotland Lux Weekend
View Single Post
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:47 pm
Pausanias

Originally Posted by erik123
The Perle in Oban is the nicest around. It's the old railway hotel and completely renovated. I very much liked it. Oban is not really on the way to Skye and will add 4 hours to your trip so perhaps skip it? Also - with weather conditions in November it might be best to stay at a place that has nice interior public spaces, spa, etc. Skye might not fit the bill for that. There may also be very limited views that time of year.
Erik is right. To get to Skye from Oban is very awkward. Oban is the gateway to another large island, Mull. To get to Skye you need to go via Fort William and on to Mallaig for the ferry or drive much further north for the bridge near Kyle of Lochalsh. Genuine luxury options are few are far between - a place like Airds Hotel north of Oban has deliriously beautiful scenery and it's a lovely hotel, though probably not luxury by the standards of this Forum. Fort William has Inverlochy Castle and further north is The Torridon and I'm staying at both next week.

I do think Skye is much too far for such a short trip, especially the Three Chimneys which could be a two-hour drive from the bridge or the ferry. And the weather in November . . . .? And the narrow daylight hours . . . ? And surely you don't need a chauffeur? Scottish roads are fine.

Last edited by Pausanias; Oct 4, 2019 at 4:23 am