FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA and AS relationship becomes further reduced; awards end 3/2020
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:36 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yep, I see it.

Two years ago American Airlines stopped allowing customers to earn miles on most Alaska Airlines flights. Alaska sources told me at the time this was a decision made by American, and one they were disappointed by.

Back in July I told you to expect even more degradation of the American Airlines-Alaska Airlines partnership.

That’s now been announced: effective March 1, 2020 it will no longer be possible to use American AAdvantage miles to redeem for travel on Alaska Airlines, and vice versa.

American tells me that there are no further changes to reciprocal lounge access or what’s left of their codesharing relationship at that time. The only change this coming March is that neither airline’s frequent flyer members will be able to redeem their miles for travel on the other carrier any longer.
link to View From the Wing
The article contains some bogus justification from AA and analysis of how stupid a move this is. (My words.)

I’ve had some successes using AAdvantage awards on Alaska, and I’ll be sorry to lose those opportunities. I can only hope that date closely coincides with Parker’s dismissal, the way AA is on a descent.