FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:50 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tensixmom
Hi, I just got enough AA points to actually book a flight, and I have the Citi AA Biz Card that says "Platinum" on it.

I have an upcoming trip (next week) and had originally planned to drive, but I figure if I can fly for free, then why not? However, it's charging $75 per person per way since it's "close-in."

I'm supposed to get that fee waived since I have that Platinum card (or at least that's how I understand it) but if that's the case, how do I get that to apply? Is it a refund later, or does it come off when I use that same card to pay for the other (much smaller) fees, or how does that work?

Thank you... I'm very new to this!
The only way the $75 fee is waived is if you have elite status on AA. AAdvantage credit cards come with several perks that are similar to elite status (free checked bag, priority boarding), but you do not actually have elite status, if that makes sense. Your credit card may be called the Citi Biz Platinum (etc.) but you do not actually get Platinum status on AA.

From aa.com:

AAdvantageŽ award processing charge
  • A $75 fee will be charged for award tickets booked or mileage upgrades requested less than 21 days prior to departure
  • This charge will be waived for Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members using miles from their account