FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asked to not recline seat by flight attendant?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 6:21 pm
rickg523
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
I see - quite astonishing that they would design a plane to prevent individual A from sleeping with a reclined seat and individual B behind them eating at the same time. This, all in an effort to maximize passenger capacity. Absolutely ridiculous.

I would have been livid if I was woken up because I had a reclined seat and the passenger behind me couldn't eat on his tray. This is out of my control and is the airline's fault. They should buy better planes or advertise a seat that is non-reclineable.

I'm seriously still in shock the FA woke up a sleeping passenger... it's perhaps one of the worst things an FA can do... but then again... if you can't eat... that's horrible as well. I would have expected the FA to have bumped you to business before waking up a sleeping passenger... if any seats were available there...
I think everyone agrees with you that this is an issue because of cabin design. That's why most passengers just accept it as a standard courtesy for their fellows stuck in a lousy situation. I've had it happen to me, I've had to request an FA to do it for me. I'll ask a conscious passenger myself, but no way I'm waking someone up.
Nontheless, it is usually put into the context of meal service.
Here's how it usually goes:
FA - (gently nudging the sleeper's shoulder) Excuse me, sir. It's mealtime. Would like your meal now?
Me - (groggy) Umm.. Could you serve me last? I just woke up.
FA - I'm sorry to have disturbed you. Certainly I can serve you later. Meanwhile, could I ask you to put your seat upright so the passenger behind you can enjoy her meal? Thank you. Would you like something to drink right now?