FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa advice (JNB + ??)
View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:47 am
DC777Fan

Programs: DL Diamond
South Africa advice (JNB + ??)

Going on a mileage run which has turned into a bit of a mini-trip after my father decided he wanted to join so I extended my trip a few days as we have slightly different interests. Both of us fly into JNB:
- I arrive from LON Saturday AM around 6am
- My father arrives Monday at 525pm direct from IAD
- We both leave Weds night around 6-7pm ... him to IAD and me to LON

I'd like to do some type of safari before he arrives, but I'm not sure if I have enough time to ride to Kruger or fly to HDS and do 2 nights at some type of lodge property or whether I'll be spending too much time in transit. Any experienced advice here? It looks like I could fly out of JNB with a reasonable connection leaving at like 9am but I'd have to leave around 2pm on Monday it looks like to get back around the time my father gets in.

Option 1A is to do a lodge in Pilanesberg but it looks like Kruger is the preferred national park all things equal and also has nicer properties.

Option B would be to stay in/near JNB (thinking Saxon hotel or maybe FS?) and do a full day Pilanesberg safari on Sunday, but that may leave me with more time in JNB proper than I actually need/want with basically all day Saturday, all day Monday & Tuesday and a half day on Wednesday?

Any sage advice from experienced SA travelers?