FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many of the moving walkways at AMS broken?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:51 am
johan rebel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ok986
Surely the purpose of your statement was not to casually fat shame people in a forum related to something completely different. Do I understand your quote correctly as being addressed to all those stressed frequent flyers who spend unholy amount of hours locked in pressurized metal tubes, and who would benefit from a little stretch?
Anybody and everybody who is not impaired for whatever reason and thus prevented from keeping moving. Walking is a beneficial acitivity, standing still far less so.

I relish the opportunity to strech my legs after being stuck in an airplane seat, so unless I'm in a real hurry I have no objection to arriving at or departing from an end-of-the world gate. But I'm also a fast walker who keeps going on moving walkways and escalators, so the fewer obstacles the better. If nothing else, I like beating the crowd and getting to immigrations first. In this respect the situation at Schiphol has deteriorated substantially over the years. Mainly a matter of overcrowding, but to some extent also because more and more people now seem to think that the main purpose of moving walkways is to transport them while they are checking e-mails or sending text messages, which renders them even more oblivious to those who would like to squeeze past. Almost as bad as all those pedestrians in their digital bubbles I have to deal with when riding my bike. At least I can scare the latter sensless without bothering my conscience.

Johan