FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Island-- Driving Saddle Road and the Mauna Kea Access Road [merged threads]
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:15 pm
WrightHI

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
For those who want a briefing on the situation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty...scope_protests

I won't share my own opinions on this or else the thread will end up in Omni/PR. Suffice it to say, the road to Mauna Kea summit is closed.
And likewise for my opinions on the quality of that Wikipedia article. There's some comedy value in the warring narratives, but take all factual assertions with a grain of salt until verified elsewhere.

On the original question, toward the day when the road is once again open to the public: take seriously the cautions above about elevation and young kids, and elevation generally. Bodies and brains don't work as well at almost 14,000 feet as they do at sea level. Sometimes that's an annoyance and sometimes it's life-threatening. The road is steep and bumpy, and you need to not only have a 4wd vehicle but know how to use it, including gearing down far enough to stay mostly off the brakes on the way down so that you don't overheat them and have them fail, which usually happens on the steep paved sections below the visitor station. Also be wary of setting sun in your eyes on west-facing stretches if going up late in the day, as many tourists do. Or better yet, wait until the kids are old enough, pick one of the better tour operators, and let them do the driving and maybe teach you a bit more about the mountain while they're at it.