FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interesting UG model at UA -- will DL roll out something similar?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:02 am
ElliottMB

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by gitismatt
I don't think I will ever make DM, at least not at my current travel pattern, so never having the opportunity to earn GUCs is kind of a bummer for me. This UA program would effectively give me the option to have one long-haul international upgrade opportunity. That said, it doesn't look like Platinum UA members will be able to earn additional points without making it to 1K so my 40 points would basically be one one-way long haul upgrade for the year. While an international upgrade beats a regional one, I also feel like the 4 RUCs I get with DL beats one single upgrade. If I were to be at a level where DM/1K were attainable I think I would have more of a thought on this.

I do imagine a lot of 1Ks will be pissed that they're now also competing with Plats
Good point, although in the current United world, I believe UA Platinums only get 2 regional upgrades, wheres on the Delta side we get 4. So I would imagine if Delta followed suit, they would give enough points for two GUCs (half of the diamond amount) keeping things equal. I'm sure that'd be unpopular with DMs, but selfishly as a PM I would love to have 2 GUCs over 4 RUCs!

That being said, when I read the announcement from UA my first thought was the fact it will be easier for UA to devalue the points. So I guess its a double edged sword.