FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Hotel Venezia, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:46 am
SFOTerry
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Ten days ago, my wife and I stayed 3 nights before departing Sunday afternoon on a cruise. We had been upgraded 5 days prior to check-in to 1 of the 3 junior suites (room 228, I believe the largest of the 3, it’s an accessible room) using suite night awards. This is about 50% larger than the regular rooms. I believe this is the only room with a view of the bus terminal parking lot which I found amusing (great people watching). I didn’t notice any excessive noise, but I am not one who demands absolute silence. YMMV. I really don’t think any of the other rooms have much of a view, except for the 14 that overlook the not-too-picturesque canal. But you don’t stay here for the view or complete Venice experience. You stay here (1) to save money and (2) for convenience to/from the airport and cruise terminal [airport bus drops you off practically in front of the hotel for 8 euros, and for the cruise terminal, the “people-mover” (1.5 euros/person) is even closer.]. If it’s your first trip to Venice you may want to stay deeper into town.

I mostly agree with seat 13a’s comments: good bathroom, AC, and mini-mini fridge (not a minibar). They even have bathrobes. Very close to many Vaperetto stops, and there is a good COOP market about 5 minutes away.

As far as breakfast, it’s as seat 13a described, but we found the 10 euro per person per day elite benefit to be most valuable at the bar in the evening. The wines are priced reasonably, and from about 6-8:30pm they have a tapas (cicchetti) buffet including 1 glass of wine for 10 euros (wines start around 4 euros). And the bar is open to 11pm or a bit later. Not a lot of staff, but everyone is friendly and accommodating.

For our late check-out, we had to change rooms around noon, since I suppose they needed to have our jr. suite ready for the next guest by 3 or 4pm. But that was done easily.

We didn’t eat near the hotel, but there is a gelato shop (recommended by the bartender) about a 2 minute walk away (use the hotel’s back door) on a nearby canal that was quite reasonable and tasty to me (4 scoops for 4 euros, as I recall). “Gelateria Polo Nord” (I guess that means “North Pole”). There's also a "Grom" shop at the railroad station, but I did not try that.

This was just the place for us after a long 3-flight trip from San Francisco, and later connecting to the cruise ship.