FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aegean Has Major Booking Headache, Many Pax Affected
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:12 am
GeorgieBoy4

Programs: A3G
Aegean Has Major Booking Headache, Many Pax Affected

Today checked the credit card statement for upcoming Aegean flights. Lo and behold an online booking on Aegean's website has been billed 3 times. Entries made are two on Sept 18th and one on Sept 21st - all for a single transaction made in the online booking on Sept 12th.. There should only be one debit entry on the credit card on Sept 18th. Notice how it took 6-9 days from transaction date to statement entries.
Phoned the usual Aegean hotline and response was the airline knew of the problem. But it was not their fault. It was the bank they use (National Bank of Greece - NBG).
From the conversation it was clear many passengers are affected if they booked tickets in the period SEPT 12-16, 2019.
NBG had a computer processing (infomatics??) problem of software installed on Aegean's website according to Aegean staff.

The front line staff are doing an excellent job themselves but my perception of Aegean is typical of Greek companies never wishing to take responsibility. I had no idea whose Aegean Airlines banker was until today. Booking online is completely on an Aegean Airlines URL address and the airline does not wish to be responsible for their banker's software error on their website?
I therefore direct to Aegean Airlines SA management the following questions:
Question 1:
Why did Aegean, knowing the problem had occured, NOT contact the customers directly as soon as possible? To be honest and direct to face up to what is a problem in their booking process.
Question 2:
Why is Aegean waiting for customers to contact the airline to declare there is a problem with their credit card statement?
Note: Aegean says it has not been informed how long error entries will take to be reversed and the airline is not responsible.

The phone agent said an email will be sent to passengers who complain with a form to be completed with credit card transaction information that the airline will forward to NBG. That is the extent of its responsibility/liability.

So if you have booked Aegean Airlines in recent weeks just check your credit card statements.

Footnote: I am really, really disappointed in Aegean. They can sometimes be very "greek" in the way they conduct business but until now I have never been truly disappointed.
May I make a bold suggestion as this is not a small issue. AEGEAN should consider to compensate all affected Miles+Bonus members with something to soothe the angst with some bonus tier miles.

Last edited by GeorgieBoy4; Sep 24, 2019 at 5:20 am Reason: spelling