FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook Enters Compulsory Liquidation
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:52 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by dhuey
(1) Maybe, how much more? With a big enough gap, it makes sense to go with the cheaper option.
(2) That can be useful, but just about any credit card company will be willing to reverse the charge if the travel organization goes belly-up and doesn't deliver the flights, hotels, etc.
(1) Obviously everyone has their own risk tolerance for risk v. reward (savings) on airline bookings. Example: Spirit Airlines. Personally I avoid Spirit having heard horror stories from everyone I know who has flown them. Particularly for irropps. But their flights still sell out so clearly some customers are willing to assume the risk. Another example: Interjet. Could have booked a very cheap nonstop for holiday travel. Instead, went with a very high-priced UA itinerary because I don't want to assume the risk my family will be stranded returning from Mexico.

Anybody who booked Thomas Crook should have known the risks - they weren't the only alternative to most of these destinations - but probably cheaper than BA, Virgin and even Ryanair & Norwegian.

(2) Of course consumers can do chargebacks on their tickets. BUT THAT WON:T GET YOU HOME. That is why you need good travel insurance - so you can call someone and get their assist in paying for an overpriced flight to get home. Assuming airline/travel company insolvency is covered by the policy. Both Amex and Chase provide automatic coverage for airlines booked on their cards - and one of the reasons I book all flights on these cards despite other cards offering higher bonus for airline spend, etc.