FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook Enters Compulsory Liquidation
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:58 pm
nk15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by EMIC
Firstly - to the many thousands who are now without work - hope you can revive your career and prospects quickly.
Secondly - to all the suppliers - globally - who will now have to fight for their monies - ATOL etc does not cover as much as you are led to believe.

What I find extremely ironic - and I am not involved with finance / banks - so my comments are very 'top-line'- is that after securing c900m from a Chinese partner, it was then RBS and Lloyds who apparently then demanded an additional c200m cash for daily operations - so I read it as those two banks demand as being the final straw / nail. The government will not advance a loan of c200 which is one third the cost which may now be paid by the HM Treasury - one so as not to set precedence - secondly it contravenes some EU laws.

Ironic that RBS and Lloyds majority shareholder is..............................the UK Government????? And Condor may still continue to fly as it is applying to the German Government for emergency funding - maybe I missed the news of Germany leaving the EU?
(Bolding above is mine)...The sinister view is that someone wanted TC to fail and put an extra hurdle in the last minute...As it was stated earlier, somebody will make a profit out of this, after the loses have been socialized and disbursed among consumers/partners, somebody will buy the healthy parts with a profit, and BA will have less competition/wider customer base...Or someone may say that's just capitalism and doing business...