FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cash Upgrades to J - which ticket class?
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:48 am
thijsseh
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by flieduk
Thanks - so the overall cost is the same? I had been under the impression that the MMB upgrade price I had seen was cheaper than a “normal” upgrade.

So basically - if I am ok with the flexibility issues - there is no harm in booking a Saver ticket if I want to upgrade later (either by way of proactive email offer)?

I flew from GLA last time. However, different people are based in different parts of South Scotland so GLA/MAN/EDI are all acceptable choices.

Correct, the upgrade cost is the fare difference (plus tax difference which is important when leaving from the UK as the APD is significantly more for departures in a premium cabin, having typed this, something nags in my mind that it might be different for Scotland...).
And as mentioned upthread, if you do it through the website, it will charge you a change fee which according to the fare conditions is waived for upgrades to a higher cabin, so rather phone in to do the upgrade and don't do it via MMB.
At times, you may get offers for upgrades at a lower cost when checking in through the website. But a) this cannot be predicted / counted on and b) is on a sector by sector basis and not for the entire (one way) part of your trip.