FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:59 pm
tajee165

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I don't think you'll get assistance from LX, assuming the flight arrives on time. If not arriving on time, they might rebook you onto a later connection automatically (not so sure about this, since it's an award.. and your final destination isn't VIE) or you'd have to visit the transfer counter. In any way, ZRH to IST isn't impossible to get, and EU261 - even in the more basic version that LX accepts - is pretty strong on forcing them to offer a rebooking onto another carrier (which would be TK for a direct flight)

So I'd simply fly it with the 40min connection and try my best to make the connection - and if it doesn't, let LX handle it.

Arriving in Business class means you'll be out of the aircraft sooner. And they might wait a minute longer for 4 pax in C to close the gate. LX does know where you've come from, and they'll be able to make an educated guess if you're making it "just in time". A few months ago I was having the chance for a VDB, and the gate agent (after noticing I do know a thing or two about operations) explained to me that they can see quite some details from missing pax, including if they've passed security entrance yet (from landside)

But as you noticed yourself, the passport checks/immigration in ZRH might take a while for people without CH/EFTA/EU passworts (regular counters, no automatic readers) during rush hour. But actually with a E to A transfer, they've not yet setup automatic machines in this direction yet as much I know (only for arrivals into ZRH and connections from Schengen to Non-Schengen/departures) so it might not even be that faster with a CH* passport anyway (more generally spoken, since I suppose you don't hold a passport valid for the CH/EFTA/EU line)

However, I'd say your chance of making such a connection with an on-time arrival are higher than 90%. Assuming your family can walk a reasonable pace (no running, but just straight out of the aircraft and towards the A gates asap - don't bother check the "connections" screens in E on arrival, since you want to head to the A gates straight on.

I think YUL is considered clean, thus no security on arrival for you. 40min is doable, but there is a small chance your luggage might not make it. Bring enough clothes for 2 days or so in your handluggage just in case.
Thank you, I appreciate the response - my family does hold all Canadian passports so hopefully 30 seconds per passenger, no questions asked. My transit from E to A was certainly smooth and no questions.

We will walk briskly - thank you to everyone who responded and provided assistance! Hopefully we can visit the A lounges - which I’ve not been to yet. 😉