FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hit (not at fault) while driving rented National car: next steps?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:46 pm
storewanderer

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Thanks again for the responses.

To recap: another driver did an "unsafe lane change" as per the police report re: the accident, changing from the left lane and sideswiping my rented car in the center lane. Based on what the National agent told me and what I found online, I'm not at fault due to the other driver changing lanes, crashing into me.

National sent me a bill for the repair to my rented car. The bill is due immediately and includes instructions for remitting payment. It also includes a form to give National my insurance information.

I'm sending a check to National today, but I'm confused by National (1) requiring payment from me but (2) asking for my insurance information. Clearly National isn't going to go after the other driver, but what's the point in asking for my insurance information since National is requiring payment from me? I assume that I need to just submit this to my credit card (for rental car accident coverage) and hope for reimbursement, or sue the other driver in small claims court?

I have no problem paying National but don't think that I or my insurer should have to incur the loss--the other driver should.

Thanks.
The reason they sent you a payment form is in case you just want to pay it (not run it through insurance or a credit card benefit). That may make sense for some users for a $250 window chip type situation. If you are planning to go through insurance or a credit card benefit, then you would provide that information, not send payment.

Handle everything promptly and follow up to make sure National is paid timely. I'm not sure how long they will happily wait to get paid, but they are obviously experienced with waiting on insurance payments, etc.