FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Routing strategies to improving upgrade chances
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:19 pm
scracer14

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by findark
I have to concur about time (and I guess we are in the majority here).

Adding a connection right on the GC route is an extra 90 minutes in almost impossibly good circumstances and usually about two hours extra.. back-connecting is even more. On an international itinerary the whole day is basically eaten by the travel and it's a "big deal" to fly that far, so I will happily fly silly routings to save money, see more things, or whatever (I did MSP-SFO-CPH-SVG-BGO because of award space and for TATL sleep, I've done SFO-FRA-BEG-ZRH-FRA - to get to FRA - for faring reasons). But for domestic travel there just isn't time for me to make connections, so I will choose my carrier based on nonstop availability and schedule. Timing is the question of "can I make this trip" (leaving from the office on a Friday), or "will I get to stay in my destination more than 24 hours"? I would love to have the time to spend all day making a domestic one-way (I do like flying), but I really don't at this point so I guess instead I'm taking away Boraxo's upgrades
I'm PHX based and (generally) fly into UA hubs, so I get the benefit of non hub origin for upgrade chances and 1K status.

Recently started a project near MCO, and had the option of WN direct (I'm A list but theres no upgraded either way) or AA (no status). I fly PHX -IAH - MCO and visa versa. Adds about an hour to the trip but I'm probably 95% on upgrades on all segments.

Boraxo - in your example you would fly WN or AA regardless to save the time (even if it resulted in a middle seat each way)? Personally indeed like I'm more productive in J, so even the lost hour is made up by not rubbing elbows while working. Regarding IRROPS, UA has saved my tail multiple times this year whereas when forced to fly on non status airlines I have gotten burned.

This thread is of interest because this year I almost started flying DL or AA mid year to get status on two airlines for options (should finish up around $35K and 275K EQM). Considering splitting loyalty next year for that purpose.