FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Routing strategies to improving upgrade chances
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:08 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have to concur about time (and I guess we are in the majority here).

Adding a connection right on the GC route is an extra 90 minutes in almost impossibly good circumstances and usually about two hours extra.. back-connecting is even more. On an international itinerary the whole day is basically eaten by the travel and it's a "big deal" to fly that far, so I will happily fly silly routings to save money, see more things, or whatever (I did MSP-SFO-CPH-SVG-BGO because of award space and for TATL sleep, I've done SFO-FRA-BEG-ZRH-FRA - to get to FRA - for faring reasons). But for domestic travel there just isn't time for me to make connections, so I will choose my carrier based on nonstop availability and schedule. Timing is the question of "can I make this trip" (leaving from the office on a Friday), or "will I get to stay in my destination more than 24 hours"? I would love to have the time to spend all day making a domestic one-way (I do like flying), but I really don't at this point so I guess instead I'm taking away Boraxo's upgrades