FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KLM seeks to abandon current fare structure in the near future for dynamic pricing
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:33 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Erwin10
This would, most likely, be a negative thing for schedule changes by the airline itself. Last two times I missed a connection at CDG, they rebooked me on another flight, but in Y class, which earned me much more miles in comparison for what I paid for the ticket.
Flying Blue has already moved away from RBD-based earning for flights on KL and AF.

In the new Flying Blue, your earning is dictated by the amount you paid for your ticket. If you are rebooked onto another AF/KL ticket, that makes no difference to your earning. For all AF and KL flights, it doesn't matter if you are in full-fare Y or in bargain-basement X - the earning is based solely on the price you paid, not on the revenue bucket you end up travelling in.

(I suspect you collect miles in a program other than Flying Blue. However, if you are an FB collector, and you can show that having been rebooked into Y somehow gave you additional miles for the notional "price" paid by AF when rebooking you, I'd really love to see it!)

(If they totally abandon fare basis codes, though, it will mean all Skyteam and other partner airlines that allow earning on KL flights will have to adapt their "earning table" quite drastically!!!)