FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - united gets into a twitter dispute over passenger seeking free upgrade to E+
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:31 pm
dilanesp

Programs: united
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
UA's analogy is a little weak, and I wouldn't call it "throwing shade," but they really should stay above the fray and simply provide the logical reasons why E+ empties are not available after takeoff. Perhaps with a positive statement that if the pax really wants an E+ empty seat, to be sure to flag down a flight attendant so they can collect the additional fee.

A better analogy is: An empty first class seat is obviously not available free after takeoff. The same policy applies for the Economy Plus section.
I actually think throwing shade was useful here. There are certain customers you don't actually want, or, maybe, that you don't want as long as you are making record profits. Someone who buys a ticket for the cheapest type of.seat offered, tries to upgrade for free, and tries to shame the airline on social media when he is refused is exactly such a customer. I were Oscar or Kirby, I would be like "go ahead, fly Delta or American, we don't need this sort of thing here".