FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If E+ access is purchased on award, will that impact cash upgrade to Premium Plus?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 6:09 pm
ISTFlyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Johhny5Alive
Quick Question - Quite specific:
I currently have an XN award economy ticket TYO - EWR on UA metal
I would LOVE to upgrade to Premium Plus Economy
My only 'status' is holding a United Explorer card

I imagine on such a long haul I have little chance up receiving a complimentary upgrade
Is there any upside to purchasing Economy Plus now?
I will try to purchase Premium Plus Economy once checked in - Would the price take in to account the difference for the economy plus seats?

Thanks all!
- J
Nothing to do with Turkish Airlines. I've alerted the mods to transfer this post to the United MileagePlus forum.

However, I would answer your question

If you purchase EconomyPlus it won't matter as it would be your status and the number on the upgrade list that matters. I don't think that no status United credit cardholder passengers are automatically at the upgrade list unless they have requested a mileage upgrade. In your case, a mileage upgrade could not be requested as you're flying on an award ticket

I am also not sure about if you could upgrade to PremiumPlus by paying the fare difference at check-in ( at the airport ) on UA award tickets; however in regular cases if you purchased EconomyPlus and managed to upgrade yourself to PremiumPlus, the seat fee that you have paid for EconomyPlus would be refunded.