FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with Mom (or Parents)
View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:47 am
MissJ

I try to take my mom somewhere every year. Desperately trying to get her to take the leap and go International. She's not opposed to it, loves to learn about the world, but she's a terrible worrier about being away from home for a long time. Also, she hurt her knee really badly a couple of years ago and is worried about getting around. I told her not to worry about it, on days where walking a ton isn't an option, I will make it work. Tours, hop on hop off buses, Uber, me driving, whatever it takes. She's 68. She's in great shape other than the knee.

I like to go all out when I travel with her. Just love to spoil her. She hasn't flown coach since I started carting her around. We just got back from a trip to my former home of Portland about a week ago. She says she wants to go back to New England next year but I'm pushing for old England instead.

Reading the article, your mom sounds a lot like mine. She takes like 3 bags. I don't even know what's in there. My mom is tiny, thin, 5'1 if even so it's not clothes. I think she's just a terrible packer. On our last trip, I got a notice on my phone just before we left that our first flight was delayed and we may not make the connection. I looked and we would have about 20 minutes. I can totally do that, but her multiple bags would not make it. I took all of her stuff out, repacked in a carry-on and a small duffel bag and away we went. Made the flight with carry-on only. My mom loves to shop as well. Eating with her can be a challenge as she likes very simple food. No spice. I managed to get her to try Hawaiian recently and she loved it, though.

We could never share a bed, though. She says I've always been way too active of a sleeper for her to get any rest next to.

Last edited by MissJ; Sep 18, 2019 at 9:54 am