FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:53 am
Tobias-UK
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
No dispute in the tone of your question there, although it is absolutely clear here that BA are making few if any attempts to minimise the impact. That pilots rostered and available for work are not being permitted to work because they were on strike on day 1, and for BA to then over-roster staff onto strike days intentionally (including ground-based pregnant FC and some on sick leave) strikes me as an incredibly cynical attempt to worsen the impact upon you and me. And I have already started to vote with my feet, out of necessity initially but (for the first time this week) out of choice. The email I read last night was exceptionally spiteful and, if I was a reluctantly striking pilot (as the majority are) it would harden my resolve.

Withdrawal of labour is a materially serious matter, and the removal of pay should be expected (although the basis of calculation, having looked at it in a little detail, is random and unnecessarily punitive on some but not all). But BA management are falling into the trap of any engagement by doubling down on the offensive. This won't be over by Christmas.
I choose not to take sides in a dispute that I am not a party to, the employment contracts and the associated terms and conditions of BA employees are none of my business, that is a matter solely for the employer and employee. I feel the same way about how the parties in an industrial dispute choose to behave in their dealings with each other.

Guided by Balpa the pilots will do what they think best for their cause and BA will do what it thinks is best for its cause. If one party choses to take drastic action then it is no surprise the other party takes equally drastic action, especially given BA's modus operandi in previous disputes.

As selfish as it may sound, I am a customer and my only concern in this dispute is my ability to get to where I need to go, when I need to be there. I have had direct hits on each strike date which have caused me significant disruption. BA have been good in re-arranging my travel, but I'd rather travel on the days and at the times I have chosen without fear of disruption.

With the kind of travel schedule I have, one cancelled or severely disrupted flight is likely to cause a whole series of knock-on effects with respect to other travel and business commitments. I'd rather not be subject to that sort of uncertainty. As a result I have not booked any new travel with BA since the first strike cancellations were announced.

Whilst I have sympathy for the pilots' cause and their right to withhold their labour, I do not appreciate being used as a pawn in this dispute. My livelihood depends on being able to travel, and that means being able to travel on the dates and at the times my commitments dictate. I have enough on my plate without having the added stress caused by the uncertainty of my plans. I want to make the most of my family time between trips, I do not want to be stranded on the other side of the world.